Sunday, December 4, 2011

Nostalgic - Super 8

In 1979 my sister, brother and I each got our first brand new bikes.  My parents used a portion of their income tax to buy them for us.  I got a gray Schwinn ten speed, my sister got a brown three speed, and my brother (who is the youngest) got a bike that he could do major wheelies with.  It was a simpler time.  You didn't get what you wanted immediately.  Or, at least our house didn't.  However, we thought about what we wanted, imagined what it would be like and when it truly became ours, it was well worth the wait.  It was wonderful.
Friday night, DJ and I rented the movie Super 8.
DJ watched it Friday.
I fell asleep. 
I watched it Saturday. 
Google Image
I absolutely loved the movie.  It is one of my all time favorites.  It reminded me of the movies I loved when I was growing up - The Goonies, Close Encounters of the Third Kind and ET.  It made me want to have a dinner of baked chicken, pan fried potatoes (with onions) cooked in Crisco, and a side of canned french cut green beans.  It made me want to go for a walk with my friends on the tracks (watching out for hobos along the way), sneak out at night to play bloody murder and have a slice of Neapolitan ice cream before I went to bed.  (And yes, we sliced our ice cream :)
To anticipation.
Sometimes, certain things are worth the wait :)

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...