Saturday, June 16, 2012

Kayaking

Last fall I took a one-day kayaking class at a local college.  I was so excited to take it.  I thought I would be learning basic strokes, proper hand and foot placement, back paddling, etc.  Instead, I learned how to roll.  Oh, and I mean roll!!!  Flipping the kayak, somersaulting out of of the kayak and then getting the kayak (which is now quite full of water) out of the pool and back onto solid ground.  And, I did this not just once or twice, but 12 times and that was before I left.
That's right.  I left.  Half way through - so much water up my nose that I had a headache for two days, bloodshot eyes and numerous bruises - I left.  Outta there.  See ya.  Wouldn't wanna be ya :)
Fast forward to this week.  I still want to kayak.  I really, really do.  Not white water (which apparently the class was catered to), but open water.  I live in a beautiful area with pristine lakes and I think it is a shame to not enjoy them.  So, I decided I was going to get myself (and Dave) a kayak.  I went to the Dick's Sporting Goods website and learned that kayaks were on sale.  Half off for the two that I purchased.
Last night, we christened them :)
No white water here...
Just blue skies, flat water and inlets...
just waiting to be explored...

Most importantly, it was peaceful...
Simple, utter peacefulness...
Was it everything I hoped kayaking would be?
It was more :)

1 comment:

  1. This is absolutely, 100% beautiful. Definitely on one of my top priorities for when I come home! Soooo excited!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...