Saturday, August 4, 2012

A Cape Cod Vacation

We just returned home from a week spent in Cape Cod, first time in almost 20 years.  It is really beautiful there.  National seashore, hiking trails, farm markets, cottages, light houses, golf courses, a winery,  exquisitely prepared food and time spent on the beach are but a few of the things we were fortunate enough to enjoy.
We stayed in this sweet little cottage...
on the bay...
where visitors can sit and enjoy reading the morning paper...
It was actually pretty cold on our first official full day there.  The temperatures were in the mid 60s.  Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed it.  It has been way too hot for my taste this year, but making the transition from high 80s/low 90s to mid 60s takes a little getting used to.  However, it is the perfect temperature for hiking...


While hiking, we met a couple who informed us that there were approximately 400 gray seals swimming off the coast just a few short miles away.  I'd never seen any before, so off we went...
We kept our distance and observed them swimming off shore.  I have to say, they are BIG!!!  Way bigger than what I expected.  And they are cute :)
Monday - we golfed.  Let me just clarify that Dave and DJ golfed.  Me - notsomuch.  Not into golf unless you need a professional photographer, ball spotter or beer wench.  Don't get me wrong, I am not bad at it - I just do not take it as seriously as these guys do.  But when the course looks like this - Yeah, I'm there, I'm your girl.
It is the second oldest links course in the country (1892).
It boarders this little, old lighthouse right here...
and the most charming local museum...
 
 




We shopped and ate locally - preparing meals from food purchased at local farm stands or dining at one of the many wonderful restaurants in the region.




I think what I like most about Cape Cod is the lifestyle.  The people who live there year round are hardworking, creative individuals.  At least in the area where we stayed, it is not commercial at all.  The residents are both naturalists and artists.  They are creative and can think outside of the box.  They make do with what they have and have warm and inviting homes.  Not big, dinosaur homes, but quaint, charming homes full of character.  And really, how much does anyone really need?  As my Mom has always said, "All anyone really needs Marcia is a roof over their head, a good meal, clean clothes and a bed to sleep in."
Amen Mom.
Add a little ingenuity, and we're going places :)



2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written for what looks like an equally beautiful voyage.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...