Monday, August 27, 2012

Relaxing By the Pond

I had my Mom, my sister, her boyfriend and my nephew over yesterday afternoon.  I prepared some food, put the beverages on ice and displayed everything on the folding table DJ bought me for Christmas...
My nephew Daniel enjoying the Buffalo Chicken Wing Dip.  It was gone by the time everyone left :)
I made Hot Party Ham Sandwiches that are always a huge hit...
Crack dip that I served with tortilla chips.  I absolutely love this.  My friend Teri gave me the recipe.  It reminds me of a salsa, but really could be a meal given the fact that the corn and black eyed peas together make a complete protein.  I have placed the recipe for it under my recipe tab...
And, shrimp for my Mom because she loves it...
 
We ate, listened to some radio, relaxed and enjoyed the sun, company and the end of summer heat... 
DJ and Brenda
Some of us preferred the shade :)  
Violet and Nate:)
At the end of the afternoon as we were returning to the house, I saw my first Monarch this fall.  Of course, I started thinking about my kids (I always think about my kids :) and how they evolve.  This fall marks a transition period in our household - DJ will be staying at college this fall and my nephew Daniel will be a high school senior.  These are milestones for the boys (and for my sister and I as mothers) and the beginning of a new journey for them.
It also reminded me of the Dennis Waitley quote, "The greatest gifts you can give your children are the roots of responsibility and the wings of independence."
We have done that and now it is time for them to fly.
The sky is the limit boys.  
Soar high :)

1 comment:

  1. Soar high, fellas! Violet as always, cracks me up hiding behind that chair. Looks like a fun day filled with delicious food!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...