Tuesday, October 19, 2010

My Granny Square Afghan

On the back of my couch lies my granny square afghan that I purchased a couple of years ago at a local antique shop.  I had always wanted one and when I saw it, I knew I had to have it.  It also helped that the price was quite reasonable.  Lovely, isn't it?
It looks lovely now.  However, when I first brought it home, it smelled like moth balls (nasty).  So I washed it.  Not once, but twice.  Got rid of the smell.  However, it also separated almost all of the squares!!!  That's alot of squares...
I won't lie, I thought about tossing it on top of our burn pile.  But then I thought to myself, don't do it Marcia.  Just think how much time and effort an individual put into this project.  It is piece of some one's life and beautiful.  Take care of it.

So I sewed the squares back together.  It took me one whole day to complete the project.  However, I am very glad that I did it.  Every time that I look at it, I am proud of myself.  Although it may not be the same thing as crocheting the entire afghan, I can now truly appreciate that individual's perseverance.  I am sure it took way longer than one day to complete the project.
It also made me ponder at how quick we are to judge other people.  Some may think that creating an afghan or sewing it back together is trivial.  However, until you walk a mile in someone else's shoes, don't judge.  It's not as easy or simple as some people may think it is...

This goes for all aspects of an individual's life.  Who are we to judge?  Something you may want to ponder over today.

1 comment:

  1. The colors are just a'poppin in that blanket now. And I agree with you, who are we to judge?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...