Saturday, January 14, 2012

It's A Cheesy Potato Soup Kind of Day

As you can tell from the view out my picture window...
the fact that I am wearing both slippers and socks...
Thank you Brenda - the slippers are really, really, really warm!!!
the fact that DJ is dressed appropriately for the weather and cleaning off his car - NOT!!!
Note the warm jacket and gloves :)
It is colder than a witch's t.t out today.  Temperatures are in the teens with single digits tonight!!!
So I said to myself, "Self, what are you gonna do?"
And within the next moment, I knew.
I was going to make Cheesy Potato Soup. 
And Stripes knew it too because I told him so.
OK Mom.  Whatever you say :)
And so it was.
I dubbed today Cheesy Potato Soup Day.
I used the recipe from the cookbook, Farm Chicks in the Kitchen.  I doubled it because I am going to have a house full of boys tomorrow watching football games and I know they are going to love it as much as we do.  I even took pictures of the preparation process.
What's that?
You didn't?
I did.
You're good.
I know :)
Enough nonsense, let the cooking begin.

Melt one tablespoon of the butter in a large pot over medium high heat. Add carrots and cook until softened (approximately four minutes).
Add broth, potatoes, basil, salt and pepper.  Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for approximately 20 minutes (or until potatoes are tender).

In another medium sauce pan, melt remaining butter.
Stir in flour and cook for approximately one minute.
Slowly whisk in milk and simmer until slightly thickened (approximately two minutes).   Add cheese, stir until melted and thoroughly combined.

Gradually pour sauce into the soup and stir until blended.
Heat through and serve.
Smart alack remarks aside, this soup is honest to goodness delicious.  You should make it.  I have posted the recipe on my recipe page.
And from the rest of my family...
Snoop

Violet

Suzie
to yours - keep warm, be safe and have a good night.
Good night John Boy.
Good night Mary Ellen :)

1 comment:

  1. Awww...everybody looks so cozy and the soup looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...