Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Puffball Found

There was quite a bit of excitement here this weekend.  I found a puffball.  I found it growing on the side of the road.  Usually, puffballs are found in wooded areas.  This particular puffball was the size of a cantaloupe.  I texted a picture of it to my father and he too was extremely excited.  He used take us "puffball hunting" when we were little.  It was quite the adventure.  We would go into the woods and search for them.  Often, we would find ones bigger than this one.  My father was so proud of our find.  It was almost as if we had found a million bucks. 
After we found them, we brought them home, washed them, cut them in half and made sure they were white.  You do not want to eat a puffball that is green or brown in the center.  Once it is determined that it is fine to eat, you peal the skin off (very easy), and then we always cut them into 1/8" - 1/4" slices and fry them in butter.
We season the slices with a little salt and enjoy.
What do they taste like? 
My family thinks they taste similar to an egg omelet.
Take your kids on a "puffball hunting" adventure.  It is an adventure they will never forget:)
Enjoy your night.

2 comments:

  1. Yummmmm! How exciting. I think it looks like brie cheese, which actually would probably compliment the taste!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of them before. We have gone morel hunting in our woods, but have not found any yet. A shame because they are so expensive to buy. Thanks for visiting. I am enjoying your blog.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...